The Township of Ear Falls hired an IT Consultant to complete a feasibility plan to determine the method and cost to increase broadband capacity and increase internet speeds throughout the municipality up to the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Canada standards of 50Mbps for downloads and 10 Mbps uploads.
The Project involved:
- Performing a “desktop” gap and needs analysis using publicly available resources and data;
- Conducting site visits to identify visible telecommunications infrastructure in the community and general vicinity.
- Engagement of regional telecommunications service providers as a source of information.
- Acquiring data sets, including speed test data and other statistical information as might be feasible with the assistance of the community.
- Providing an overview of relevant regulatory matters that might have an impact on the project (i.e.: open access policy, basic service determination and potential access to new funding).
- Preparing a project budget based on the implementation of the recommended course of action and upgrades.
The complete report is available here: Ear Falls Broadband Study